Thursday, February 21, 2013

Project Time

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing great! I know as the days go by we all just get busier; I am pretty sure now more than ever since our conference is only two weeks away. How exciting, I know I am both excited and anxious about it.

This is exactly what I have been focusing on this week. I must say doing the experiments and writing observations down as well as trying to figure out what went wrong or modify something for better results is interesting and fun. On the other hand it is completely different from gathering all this information and writing everything down in a formal way. This can be a bit challenging for me, but not impossible. I am now in the process of finishing my project and I am glad to say I am only two sections away from being done. Yay!

On another note I have not shared with all of you the last few PCR results that I got for a variety of primers and extractions. After I got positive results for using primers 3 and 4 from the QuickExtract Bacterial DNA Extraction Kit I tried primer 7 and my results were great! Gave me a boost in self-esteem when I thought it would never work for me. I also tried a different protocol the Sigma: GenElute Bacterial Genomic DNA Kit to extract DNA from gram-negative bacteria, these happened to be E. coli and Agrobacterium. When I ran the electrophoresis gel I had great results, I was successful in the extraction for both bacteria, however Agrobacterium DNA was way more concentrated than E. coli and I can say this by noticing how bright Agrobacterium’s’ DNA looked compare to E. coli’s’. I must say this protocol took longer than the QuickExtract Bacterial DNA Extraction protocol but I was extremely content with the results. The next step after getting positive results was running the DNA samples in the Thermal Cycler for a PCR. For these two samples I used four different primers, these primers are 3, 4, 6, and 7. I was once again satisfied with the results because the polymerase chain reaction worked for both bacteria. I must share how after running the DNA samples in the thermal cycler my results showed more concentration for the E. Coli DNA and less for the Agrobacterium DNA. I am now on the hunt to figuring out why
PCR Results for Primer 7
Ruler, E. Coli, S. Aureus, Bacillus, AgroBacterium








































No comments:

Post a Comment