Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fresh Start


After a long break, I can honestly say I am glad to be back. I am ready for what is my last semester at Phoenix College, and excited to start my internship with Matt and Josh.

Today was my first day back and because I applied for the MGE Conference for ASU my advisers and I thought it would be a good idea to redo all of my experiments that were done last semester. For those of you who have no idea what my project consist of it has to do with finding the most efficient method for running a PCR. Efficiency is determined by several variables, including cost, quantity and quality of DNA, time required for extraction, and which method produced clear PCR product. In order to be able to run a PCR I first have to successfully extract DNA from bacteria. With that my job today was to make cultures for the several different bacteria that I will be using in both the Quick Extract Bacterial DNA Extraction Kit Protocol and the Isolation and Purification of Total Genomic DNA Protocol.
Rack where Bacteria is stored 
Rack with TSB tubes











Procedures
My four cultures
E.Coli
  Bacillus Agrobacterium S. Aureus
 









Before anything was done, I made sure to label each TSB tube to its corresponding bacteria. The 4 TSB tubes are needed because I have to add a few drops of bacteria in each, helping the bacteria grow. However before adding these drops into the TSB tubes each bacteria was gently pipetted allowing the bacteria to mix, we do this to get rid of the bacteria clumps that are located at the bottom of the tubes. After mixing it well two drops of each bacteria was added to its corresponding TSB tube. These TSB tubes were all covered and incubated. They have to be left in the incubator for a whole night to allow the bacteria to grow in order to use them for the DNA extraction experiments.


Materials                               

E. Coli                                  
S. Aureus
Bacillus
Agrobacterium
4 TSB Tubes






2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your last semester here at PC, the brave new world awaits you!! This is a really great experiment that you are working on. The first project that I had when I started my Bioscience internship was PCR and I was thrilled to see my results...even if it didn't quite work as I had hoped. The E.Coli bacteria (stock or otherwise) was not running like it was supposed to at the last stage - electrophoresis. I was able to see my DNA (it glowed) but it didn't run along the gel as my ruler did. I hope that you have better success with your experiment and I'd love to take a look at your finished results when your project is complete. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete